Friday 14 December 2012

WHAT I DO AS A COUNCILLOR



I was asked the other day by some young people what I do as a Local Councillor so I thought I would put together a brief résumé.

First and foremost I am a representative of the people of Birmingham and Oscott.

I do my best to improve the Oscott Ward and help as many residents as possible and during these tough times this is no easy task.*

I attend full Council meeting where major issues relating to Birmingham are discussed and debated in public.




I am a senior member of the Planning Committee (I stand in for the Chair on occasions) which many regard as one of the busiest and important committees.
 For example we have been looking at the Central Fire Station development, the BCU Planning proposals and dealing more locally with the Booths Lane development. As part of the duties of a Planning Committee member we have to carry out site meetings and undertake training sessions

As part of the above committee I am a member of the Birmingham Conservation Trust which looks at many aspects of conserving building in Birmingham for the future.

I am a member of the Integrated Transport Authority West Midlands.
 This is a very hard working joint authority which looks into aspects of Public Transport across the West Midland Region
I attend their full Authority meetings where major West Midland Transportation matters are discussed and reports received. (We are not in charge of bus companies)




On this authority I have the following responsibilities.
I am the Vice Chair of the Putting Passenger first committee
I Chair the Passenger Engagement Sub Committee as part of this I attend Your Public Transport matters events to meet the public across the West Midlands.
I also Chair the Ethics Committee

 I am the bus Champions Lead member (this is a scheme for volunteers trying to improve our Public transport)

I also use buses as often as possible to act as a mystery bus users especially if I have had a complaint about a service.

To link in with the Bus Champion scheme I am also the Birmingham City Councils Considerate Contractor Scheme Chairman. (Volunteers help keep an eye on how road works are being carried out.)

I a member of the Oscott Ward Committee (with Councillors Barbara Dring and Tristan Chatfield) which is where the public can come along and hear what is happening in the Oscott ward. This committee also makes the final decision on how to allocate Community chest funding. I regard this as one of the key meeting I attend.


I also Chair the informal Oscott Ward Advisory Board where Local Community group leaders, strategic partners like voluntary groups, the Police and Fire Brigade meet.
 It is at these meeting where the initial Community Chest fund applications are looked at in depth and recommendations are forwarded to the Oscott Ward Committee. It is also an important arena for various groups to discuss issues with each other. This is where lot of the work is done behind the scenes.

I hold Councillors surgeries on most Saturday mornings where I listen to the concerns of local residents.I like to do as many street walk about to meet and listen to local residents as possible.
 I also deal with a large amount of case work for local resident* (99% of which is done entirely by myself)

I am a School Governor at both Great Barr Junior and Infant school and the Goodway Nursery and do what I can to help these schools in the excellent work they do. I attend as many of their various meetings as possible

I am a regular attender at the Oscott Police neighbourhood tasking meetings. Where the Police, Local Community Reps with an interest in reducing crime and other agencies meet to discuss policing issues.

I regularly pop into elderly residents establishments in the Oscott area to see if I can be of any assistance.

As the Perry Barr Social Services visits champion I make sure each of the homes/ Centres in the area receive a surprise visit from me and I help write a report of my finding for the department.

I am a regular attendee at a number of local group meetings where I try to inform resident about what is happening in the area and listen to their concerns.

Not particularly as a Councillor I Chair the Friends of Queslett Nature Reserve who believe in cutting out the talk and rolling up sleeves, working to improve the reserve. I am also a member of the Oscott Neighbourhood Police Initiative who are local residents trying to help the Police to deter crime.

I am a member of the Perry Barr District Committee and attend meetings as required!

This is just a very brief out line of some of the work I do, the committees I am on and some of  the things they do.


If you want to know more about what I do or if you have an issue I can help you with please Email me Keith.Linnecor@birmingham.gov.uk

No comments: