Wednesday 23 May 2018

ALDI OLD HORN PLANNING APPEAL HAS BEEN DISMISSED




 Ref The ALDI Planning appeal to the Government inspectorate  regarding their proposed development at the Old Horns site next to the Queslett Nature Reserve,
A decision has been made and the appeal has been dismissed. The appeal was dismissed for the two reasons the City Council planning team sought to defend the refusal of the scheme at appeal namely the loss of the protected trees and the unacceptable design of the proposed development.

This is a victory for those wishing to protect the trees and wild life in the area and although I was not part of the Birmingham Planning Committee ( due to a conflict of interest) when it refused to support the ALDI proposals I welcome they did reject them.

I also support the decision of the Inspector who I met as part of a site meeting.

I have always informed everyone that I am the Founder and Chair of the Friends of the Queslett Nature Reserve which would have been negatively effected by the proposed development.

 I also have also made it clear  in my view any 106 funding given to the reserve as part of any agreement would not have been acceptable. This battle was about keeping the environment and wild life secure not about any money.

I was sorry ALDI could not make any compromises with there plans and hope they can find a more suitable site which would not mean such harm to the environment as soon as possible. They may wish to consider the Kingstanding shopping precinct for example.

I would finally like to thank all those who fought so hard for the local environment including
Brenda, John, Bob, Linda, from the FQNR, Members of the public, Councillor Barbara Dring and many others for they efforts.

No comments: