Thursday 19 February 2009

THE COUNCILS NEW BUDGET DRAWS NEAR.


The Birmingham City Council Budget proposals will be upon us very soon. Here a a few of my thoughts on what is needed this year.

1. The lowest Council tax possible given the current economic conditions.

2. No cuts in front line services.

3. Finding any cuts that are needed by reducing the horrific bureaucracy that has been built up over the years within the Council.

4. Reducing the amount of so called consultants the Council pay for.

5. Promote ways for Wards and their Councillors to take responsibility for grass root spending to ensure it gets to those who need it at a local level.

I appreciate it is much more complex than this but those 5 issues would be my building blocks of a good budget in my view.

By the way the Government has increased the amount of money it has provided the Council within the "Rate Support Grant", 3.3% or around £46 million. This includes Schools delegated budget increases.

2 comments:

Praguetory said...

So why didn't you propose one?

Anonymous said...

Praguetory
Wow! I am honoured.
Firstly you find your way to my little blog, and then you bestow bowers on me far beyond my imagination.