Tuesday, 30 September 2014


Quad bikes must be approved, registered, taxed and have an MOT (if needed) to be used on the road.
Most quad bikes can’t be used on the road because they don’t meet road safety standards.
Check with the manufacturer if your quad bike has been approved for road use. If your quad bike hasn’t been approved but meets road safety standards you can apply for type approval.

Rules for riding quad bikes

Registering and taxing

You must register your quad bike with DVLA and the bike must have front and rear number plates.
You must also display a valid tax disc.

MOT certificates

Quad bikes used on the road need a valid MOT certificate if they are more than 3 years old.

Driving licence

To drive a quad bike on the road you need to have a full car licence or a category B1 licence if it was issued before January 1997.


You must have third party insurance to drive a quad bike on the road.


A quad bike can only carry passengers if it is designed to do so and has the right number of seats. Check with the manufacturer if you’re not sure.

Crash helmets

Quad bike drivers and passengers don’t have to wear crash helmets, but it’s recommended.

No comments: